Monday, June 18, 2018

It's a wrap for my wannabes

The school year is rapidly coming to a close.  Abby's last day of classes (before finals) is today and the kids finish this Friday.  It isn't just school that is wrapping up.  Most of the kids' extracurricular sports teams are experience finishing moments as well.   

A few days ago, Sam helped his team take home first place in the league in a great game against Raymond.   


It was often a challenge to make it to Sam's games as half of them were out of town, and when he did have an in town game, I always seemed to be busy with after school tutoring.  


Seriously though, when I did get a chance to watch him, it was all kinds of fun.   Sam really likes baseball.   He likes umping (made some cash doing so even); he likes calling out phrases like "Hey batter batter" and he likes chewing on a handful of spitz.  

He's pretty much a Babe Ruth wannabe;)



I think it's charming.




Near the end of school I got a phone call from the Junior High receptionist notifying me that Sam would be receiving an award.   I was able to finish work early this day (my last day of the school year) and watch him receive it.  

Sam won the Grade 7 Student of the Year Award, now officially dubbed the Ron Dittmann Award in honor of Mr. Dittmann's retirement from teaching after 34+ years.  
 There were 11 students nominated and Sam ended up receiving a plaque and a cheque for $200.  
Such a special recognition!




Abby has been doing Taekwondo for a year now and has really really thrived in this sport.
It has been the perfect thing for her and her coaches have pushed her just the right amount.
I have noticed that Abby is more eager than ever to "go workout" with me (she works out, I pretend to), she isn't afraid to break a sweat anymore (in fact she seems to enjoy it) and I really think I can see her getting stronger.  


This past week she took her year end exam and advanced from a yellow stripe to a solid yellow belt.   (Two levels in 1 year!)    

Basically, she's a Jackie Chan wannabe.  



I think it's charming!


Last week I got to attend a special Elementary School BBQ that was being held to celebrate any students who had 100% attendance throughout the year.   Without even trying to Nate qualified.   
I skipped out of work  (took a late lunch) and rushed up there to eat with Nate and watch him receive his certificate.  


Nate is wicked cute when he is being recognized for something.  He gets super shy, almost scared and it is totally adorable.  

Awe this kid.   
What a super achiever.


Totally charming!!



No comments: