Saturday, September 29, 2007

Nationals...

This weekend Waterton held the National Wilderness Festival, so I decided to take the kids out there for some fun. We'd planned to attend a animal costume workshop together but when we got out there I was so taken with the beautiful fall colors that the kids and I spent the afternoon taking photos instead. It was cool to see the deciduous trees around the lakes so full of color while the pines behind them were all covered with snow. A bit of Autumn and Winter. Gorgeous!


This reminded me of the years we spent in Edmonton. The last week of September was when the trees along the North Saskatchewan looked the best, and all of you up there are probably enjoying that right now!

We arrived an hour late for the kids workshop. (I felt so bad.) Still, we had a great time.
We did stop and have spaghetti before heading home. I love this picture of sam. Anybody ever seen "strange brew"?



I noticed (while my kids were playing Nickjr on the computer:) that today was also a "National Day of Play". Yes another one of those "national" days that I almost missed! So we decided to step away from the computer for a bit and do just that...play. We went on an Alphabet hike. During our hike Abby had to (equipped with a camera) take a photo of something that started with every letter of the Alphabet. She had to do it in the correct order as well. I was surprised at how creative she was. For example when we could not find something that started with K abby decided to just make one. Of course. So for those tricky letters we cheated a little bit constructing them out of sticks or stones. A lot of fun!!
Abby's photo of a Buck...for the letter B.


Other news...sam has had an ear infection. He's been on stinkin antibiotics for 6 days now. I can't wait until he is done that because we literally need to pin him down and restrain him just to administer a measly 5 mls. He's like Jekyll and Hyde this one!!:))


Jessica has started pulling herself this week and resting on her knees and even attempting to stand. This is a little to early for her to be doing this though, and usually results quickly in a rollover onto her head.
John is keeping VERY busy at work. He's always home at a great time but is usually marking papers, writing tests, or planning lessons until late in the night. Anyone who thinks school teachers are the most underpaid professionals ever, say "Aye!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aye. Hang in there John!!! The years will become easier but you are right....for the time outside of work that goes into preparing lessons/marking and then throw in the extra cirricular....I completely agree. What a good mom you are Tanis. Looks like you guys had a great day in Waterton.

Lahni said...

AYE!!! I have gone back to work part time this fall. I'm not a first year teacher but I feel like it because we have all new curriculum this year! I try to wait until my boys go to bed to start lesson planning and that leaves me with exactly NO time for myself. Oh well, I love it!

Tanis, said...

Lahni it is so nice to hear from you. Back to work? You must be so busy. How do you do it?

Laura Leavitt said...

AYE!!!
Sounds like you guys are doign great. You always do such fun things with your kids. Fall here is wonderful...I just wish it lasted longer then a week. I hope Sams ear gets better. That picture of him is so great.He is a cute one.

Nikki said...

Aye aye I! Beautiful photos indeed!

Dick Family said...

AYE!!! That's why Daniel isn't teaching anymore! Hang in there Tanis (through the husband-less hours)...one day you'll have that time together.

You are such an awesome Mom Tanis! You think of the fun and adventure that I always forget...I have to write down some of your ideas for when Jason get's old enough for those things!