Thursday, May 1, 2008

Here's to dirty socks

I've always felt that one thing that separates a boy from a girl is the amount of dirt that seems to cling to little boys. Their hands, their faces, their clothes, their socks, every inch of little boys just begs to get dirty. I couldn't help but laugh (and cry) the other day when I picked up Sam's brand new socks. Nothing stays new for long does it?
At first I wanted to get mad and list off a thousand reasons why I am SICK of doing SOO MUCH laundry! But then, I noticed the socks on my own feet. Hmmmm. Perhaps this throws my boy/girl theory about dirt out the window.









What's the reason for all this dirt? Well since you're wondering-it's this:


No this is not our weekly amount of garbage used in our home. We actually use slightly less then this normally. This is a picture of 15 bags of PINE NEEDLES! Not leaves. Not grass. Needles only- and LOTS of em. I spent two days raking under and around these blasted pine trees. Now at first it seemed enjoyable enough. Some exercise, fresh air, I got to watch the sunset last night as I worked. I think this is the sort of thing that brings out the obsessive compulsive part of me. You know it is bad when you realize you are "sweeping" the grass with a broom determined to get every last stinkin needle.


Needleless to say (hee hee), this morning at 6:00am as I unwillingly went out to finish the job I wasn't quite so optimistic. Quite the opposite in fact. Stupid sunrise. Stupid trees. Stupid pain in my wrists. Stupid...boring...hate it!!!

6 comments:

Laura Leavitt said...

I really think boys are so much messier. I am sure if you were not madly raking your pine needles your sock would not be that bad. I know what you mean about seeing how dirty they get their clothes and you laugh....and cry about it. IT makes me feel good to know I am not the only one whose little guy fills me laundry bin daily.

Melissa said...

Wow--that is a lot of pine needles. What I job, I can only imagine. I think after the second bag, I would have given up. Good for you to do such a job!!

shauna said...

Oh pine needles - that takes me back to managing the apartment in Edmonton and raking needles while I was 7 months pregnant and again while I was 9 months pregnant because the tree would not stop shedding. Apparently my efforts were not acceptable (I didn't have a broom!) because they phoned - while I was in labor - telling me the yard was a mess and get out and clean it up! "Get rid of the stinkin' pine trees - I quit!" Good ol' HarPar.

Your yard looks great. My girls have been barefoot outside today - we are into the no sock season apparently even though half the yard is still drifted snow. My girls have tough feet plus it means less dirty socks to wash! Much easier to clean feet in the tub than fold laundry later!

Anonymous said...

Oh managing. I'd forgotten about all those great memories that only managing an apartment could provide. Yes.. good ol harpar.

Laura Leavitt said...

WE work for HAR-PAR right now and my baby is coming soon and if they call me to complain wile I am in the hospital I will lose it on them...they truly are awful

Jacky said...

Hey Tanis! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - I peeked at Amanda's page to find yours and have enjoyed looking at your posts! Sounds like you have a pretty exciting and busy life with your family. I'll have to check back often to see your new adventures.