Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What does it mean?

Do you ever find yourself using a word or a phrase and wondering how that ever became a part of your vocabulary. Abby had her first soccer practice last night, and John and I are the coaches of her team. I thought it would be a fun experience and somethig that we could all be a part of as a family. How did it go? Oh you know... fine. Fine, considering the evening consisted of 5 five year old kids all wanting at the ball, kicking ferociously at everything BUT the ball. Kids stealing the ball from their own team members. One hungry girl who kept trying to play while snacking on pretzels. Two balls in faces. One tooth through a lip. All in all - very little accomplished aside from that.

Since then I've pretty much referred to it as a "Gong Show." I caught myself at one point when I realized I didn't even know what a gong show was. What exactly was I saying when I described the first game of the year that way? I decided I'd better look up the definition.

"An event marred by confusion,ineptitude,and disorganization"

Yup I was right. That was our team. Who's in charge anyway??



Feel free to send any tips this way. We'll take all the help we can get!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to know that Heather is coaching for Jon while he's out of town...I'm sure she has stellar ideas. :0

Anonymous said...

let's hope she writes about it. (or writes about ANYTHING for that matter;)))

Laura Leavitt said...

so cute....I love all this soccer. Thanks for looking up "gong show" a term I use to describe my life at times when the kids are going crazy....which is a ton. I actually expected Chantel's team to not really know what they are doing...but there were kids just tearing up the field.Chantel was kind of put in the field and didn't know what to do for a bit. I expected them all the be as lost as her...but a lot of them seemed to know what to do and were not bad little players. It really surprised me. Their parents even said it was the first time they played. Weird.....

shauna said...

Have fun with soccer. I think my cousin Curtis is coaching too. Probably older kids though since the boys are 6 and 8 I believe...

Dick Family said...

ha ha! Who said 4 year old soccer HAD to be anything BUT a gongshow! ha ha! Way to go Tanis and John on coaching - you guys are BRAVE!

Heather said...

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/
I got some ideas from this site There is another one but I did not bookmark it so I will try to find it again. I ust the U6 category. I promise I will blog again soon. I know Im a slacker.