Friday, May 30, 2008

Yesterday I turned 28. Despite the fact that Abigail perceptively noticed, and continued to point out, that my birthday was on "garbage day" - it was a great day! I got up early in the morning for my normal routine of exercises and reading in my hammock, when I found laying in the hammock, the sweetest note, homemade flowers and a rake from John. Now I know you girls might not think a rake is that big of a deal-but for me- it was the perfect gift. I LOVE working outside, and try to cram in a couple of hours a day in the garden or yard. This rake is a beauty too! So that is how my morning began. After the kids were all dressed and ready for the day-I headed out to the garden with my trusty new gift and went to work. It was awesome. After the rainfall last week there was an abundance of weeds so it was a big job. But it's all looking good now! A couple of hours into it my sister in law Luci phoned and told me that she was coming over to watch the kids and she'd booked an appointment for me for an "ionic foot bath" at the local spa. I was shocked...muddy...and the house was a mess. But I had been wanting to try this ionic bath thing for SO LONG and had always had to cancel the appointment for some reason or other. I was so excited to go-and it felt good to just drop everything for a moment.

Now a couple of words about the ionic foot bath. Holy cow it was the weirdest thing ever. The way it works is that you place your feet into a tub of water. ...Like this:


Looks fine right? The water is warm. They add some sea salt and two electric plates into the water. The plates generate a charge that enters your body through one leg, courses through you and exits down throughout your other leg. Your foot has over 2000 pores in it, so as these charges are coursing through-they also draw out all of the toxins and crap (for lack of a better word) out of your body. It is basically a cleanse. After 20 minutes the water is supposed to look more like this:



Malarkey you think? I was skeptical as well-but you should of seen it. Out of one of my feet seeped the strangest color. There were black specks. A bit of foam. Now I have to clarify the above pictures are NOT of my feet. I grabbed those pics off of fountainofhealth.com, but that is truly what happened. Isn't that SICK! Ew Ew EWWWW! Still when I think about it it grosses me out. Still, all that sludge is better in the bucket then inside me. In theory the more you go the cleaner the water will get and the healthier you should feel, because your body should be restored to it's correct PH level etc. Weird. and cool. Thank you Luci for being so thoughtful, perceptive and giving me that gift. I knew we'd love having you living here:)

The rest of the day was spent with my kids. We worked on the yard some more, (and when I say "WE" I mean "ME" but the kids walked alongside me pointing out every weed I'd missed. For supper we went out with Jordan and Luci to this cool burger place in town. I'd never been there before but it was OK food and even better- I didn't have to cook!!! No one should have to cook on their birthday right? That evening John, Abigail and I attended a little preschool party, in which Abby was given materials for a birdhouse and together we built it with her. A fun parent/child activity. Abby got a Home Depot apron and of course her amazing birdhouse. I enjoyed this hour alone with her. It made me want to try to spend time alone with each of my kids more often. She looked so sweet and it was funny to watch John as he helped her build this house. I could see the carpenter gears in his head just spinning as he tried to be as articulate as possible. He took this preschool project VERY seriously:)



We got back to Jewels home that evening to pick up the kids only to learn that she had organized a small surprise party for me. It was so thoughtful of her. (Not that she hadn't already given me the coolest gumboots, and flowers) Nope, she had to throw in a party as well. How does she think of it all? By this point in the day I was feeling a little awkward... what with all the attention I was getting. Don't worry though, I enjoyed every bit of it!!! Oh why can't it be my birthday EVERYDAY!! I can't remember the last time I had a cake...with candles...and people singing. It was such a fun time.

Of course I can't forget to express my gratitude to Rachel for the assortment...and I do mean "assortment" of goodies. Rach-I will never put on my Indian Feather earrings or munch on those delectable shrimp flavor crackers with out thinking of YOU. You are hilarious. Oh and Jordan I LOVED the LED lights that you got me...FOR JOHN'S PLANE!!!

That is how my birthday ended. Visiting with family, watching the Dad's fly their planes, and enjoying the beautiful evening! Thanks to everyone who made it such a great day for me.

I felt so lucky. So loved. So glad to be 28!

3 comments:

Dick Family said...

Happy Birthday Tanis! Sounds like a wonderful day! That foot bath thing is CRAZY! I'm going to have to look into it...CRAZY I SAY!

shauna said...

What a fantastic way to start and end a birthday. Happy birthday yesterday! 28 is GREAT!

Paula said...

yes, malarkey! how could that work? I am amazed. Happy Birthday Tanis! It sounds like you had a good day and got spoiled...good -you deserve it!