Thursday, July 10, 2008

The second half of our drive (from Idaho to Reno) was a little more eventful then the first. I’d mentioned earlier that the kids had all been amazing in the van – which they had. And then…we reached the dessert! You guys …it is hot here. I’m not kidding, it is hotter then H-E – (you know where)! My kids had never felt that kind of heat and neither had I so I knew we were in for it. Halfway into day 2 Sam and Jess were traveling like this:



(We actually stopped somewhere before reaching Aaron and Gina’s to dress them a little) Every time we pulled over to gas up the kids got slurpees, Popsicles, smoothies…whatever it took to keep them happy for the next stretch. Still though, I think they did a great job considering they were so EXCITED to see their cousins and that moment just wasn’t coming soon enough for them.

Some things I enjoyed about the drive:
1) The gas stations I’m not even lying- there is some good shopping to be had at these American gas stations. In Canada you go to gas up and you can also buy snacks. Down here you gas up and you can also buy – men’s shorts, fake diamond jewellery, flip flops, glass figurines, chair cushions, fireworks, movies, and cd’s. All of the said things were items I had in my hand at the till. I was however keenly aware every time of John’s disapproval of me spending our money entirely at a gas station so most of the above things were returned guiltily to their places on the shelves.

2) I have enjoyed seeing the different terrain as we’ve now driven through 4 different states. I could not quite wrap my head around the vastness and emptiness of the Nevada desert as we traveled. However in the past few days the terrain, as well of the heat have grown on me. This red rock and all the mountains surrounding this city really are beautiful. Today we took a drive to the funniest little town ever (see future post) called Virginia City. The drive up through the mountains was exactly like driving over Logans Pass. Only there was not much vegetation. Oh and everything was red…rock. So I guess what it had in common with logans pass was simply that it was high up…windy…and pretty.

3) Target, Ross, and T.J. Maxx. - Need I say more.


We’ve had fun getting to see this life of Aaron and Gina’s. They have such sharp boys and my kids are enjoying every minute of it. Their oldest boy Kaden has been fun to visit with. He’s always teaching me all these random facts and I never know if they are true or not. I just follow along as if I was half as smart as he is:) Plus he’s an aspiring magician and he’s filling me in on all the secrets to every magic trick ever done. Yes I now know how to make a person levitate!

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Ok seriously Tanis - where is all your stuff? If we go away for 5 days we have the back of the van so full of stuff that you can't see out the back window. I had to enlarge that picture and there really is hardly anything poking up. You are gone a whole month? Yikes...that is what I call great packing!

Tanis, said...

I think I did a good job packing. Plus the stow and go option in our van allowed us to put one seat down. Made for lots of room!

Laura Leavitt said...

I LOVE target and Ross

Jordan and Luci said...

Yeah, Tan, enjoy all the stores while you can!!! I love that you love gas stations of all things. Just wait until you get to Disneyland. I so wish I could be with you for that!