Tonight I helped harvest some of my Father-in-law's corn over at his house. Now that is not the noteworthy part of this post because my current attitude about the "harvest" should not be put into words. So enough said. HOWEVER, as Luci (my sis in law) and I were cutting and bagging those tasty little kernels of corn, it just so happened that Luci recited the preamble to the American Constition. Not only did she recite it, but she had actions..patriotism in her voice...and a tear of gratitude on her left cheek. ha ha I'm kidding...about some of that. But she did recite it, and suddenly I didn't feel like mocking her american self like I normally would have! In fact, I thought it was pretty darn cool. And when she asked me if I knew the preamble to the CANADIAN constitution I couldn't help but feel a little sheepish. So yes at 11:30 at night- I've done a little research and Luci this is for you.
It is actually called the Canadian Charter of RIghts and Freedoms. (that much I knew) ...REALLY
Now to the best of my googling abilities- this is it:
(The preamble to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is the introductory sentence (preamble) to the Constitution of Canada's Charter of Rights and Constitution Act, 1982. The principles it invokes are the "supremacy of God" and the "rule of law.")
In full, it reads,
“ Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law ”
Go Canada!! (and boo on corn)!
2 comments:
Oh Tan...you are so funny! Let's have family night next week and I will teach that to all your kids too! hahaha!
Thank you for teaching me something this morning. I had no idea what the preamble was to our Charter of Rights & Freedoms. Maybe we should email it to the politicians so they can be reminded what our country was founded on before they make all sorts of election promises!
Post a Comment