Saturday, November 22, 2008





My sister in law brought this book over to me and insisted that I MUST read it. Absent in the spring by Mary Westmacott A.K.A Agatha Christie. It's a quick read only taking a couple of hours. It's a story of a woman named Joan,  who lives her entire life disgustingly unaware of what people around her are really feeling and what they are going through. Through a series of events she finds herself stranded and virtually alone for several days in the middle of the dessert. With nothing to do with herself but THINK she begins to see herself in truest light, only to realize that her life and she, herSELF are not as perfect as she'd always thought. The ending is utterly tragic in my opinion, but I think it is proof that you have to acknowledge your weaknesses if you ever want to change them.

Questions I've been asking myself since reading this book:

"If I had nothing else to think about for a few days-what would I find out about myself?" Would I even want to know? What are those weakness, that I'm not willing to change? (THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION by the way. Please Please PLEASE don't answer that:)

Do I worry to much about things that don't matter and miss completely what is most important?

Do I give my husband and children freedom to be their own person separate from my own thoughts and opinions?  

Hmm. ....

no comment.

3 comments:

Jacky said...

Tanis - it's such a coincidence that you posted about this book. I just bought it from our favourite used book store and took it on our trip with us. I love Agatha Christie mysteries but this was the first "Mary Westmacott" book I had read. I liked the book but I agree that the ending is tragic - all that self-discovery for nothing. I enjoyed reading your questions and it made me wonder about myself too.

Jordan and Luci said...

hmmm, very interesting. One of these days I really am going to sit down and think long and hard, but honestly maybe not because I'm pretty sure I already know the answer...crap! Anyways, I'm glad you read it for me. You can start enjoying life more by coming to the movie with me...hahaha!

Crystal said...

I am a true believer in the old adage "ignorance is bliss"...and yet some way or another, one of the constants in life (or mine at least) is that somehow thsoe dang weaknesses always find a way to make themselves known and painfully clear (usually resulting in me wishing there was a rock to crawl under somewhere)...Definitly haven't got the "change" thing down yet, which is why I try not to do too much self-discovery.
At any rate, you have intrigued me...I will have to read the book (I think this whole "Mary Westmacott" ultra-ego thing is also pretty cool--I could really use an ultra-ego sometimes).