Sam turns 6 this coming Sunday, (August 14th) and he has been begging me for about a hundred million days now to let him have a birthday party. I can't say I love Birthday parties and I realize that makes me a lame boring old mom. I think my lethargic attitude about Birthday parties has more to do with my lack of creativity then anything.
Combine my parental patheticness with the fact that Sam's birthday is in the summer and you can understand why our cute little guy usually misses out in the party department.
This year though- I was determined to throw him a "Real" party.
And according to Sam it had to include "real friends. Not just sisters" (His words-not mine.)
* So his big day birthday celebration began with Jessica and I setting up the annual "Wall of Fame" which we do for the kids when they have a birthday. For a week or so our kitchen wall is covered with some our favorite and most embarrassing photos of the birthday kid. I LOVE this tradition as it brings back lots of fun memories.
*Then it was breakfast in bed. All of Sam's favorites: Eggs with cheese, vanilla yogurt with dumb dumb cereal (don't ask;), and a cup of milk that he got to drink with his new silly glasses straw! Thanks for that Aunt Crystal!
*Then it was time to party!!!! 6 kids, ('cuz he's 6) one big bounce house, water games, cake, ice cream, launching home made rockets high into the sky, and a home made Pinata! John made the pinata himself after Sam requested to have one shaped like a rocket. I was so happy John made it because who wants to spend $25 on something that a bunch of kids are just going to beat to death? (sorry-have I mentioned that I'm a lame mom?)
The hit of the party was without a doubt the game John made up where kids took turns sitting on a giant inflatable skidoo while he sent them flying across the slip n slide.
Luckily there was only one collision.
Oh and there was also that one time when Everett went flying right into the Raspberry patch, but other then that- it was all good.
(If Everett's parents are reading this: -Don't worry. He enjoyed the ride!;)
All in all - it was a lot of fun, and Sam can finally say that he got to have himself a party.
And you know what- he deserves it!
This boy is such a special part of our family. He's a little bit crazy. (certifiably;) He's LOTs of fun. He's happy 99.9 percent of the time. He's a sensitive boy who feels deeply. He's an entertainer.
And he's still willing to cuddle with his mommy.
This kid is definitely worth celebrating.
Happy Birthday Sam!!!!
**********
John made up this video of his super fun and SAFE (sarcasm intended) activity he did with the kids.
I'm thinking a waiver form might come in handy next year.


3 comments:
SAM! We love you and I'm glad you finally got your party. We miss you so much. Come visit us!!!
Happy Birthday Sam! Sure looks like fun. Hope you had a great day! Love you lots!
- H
Super fun party! What are you talking about -- you're totally not allowed to call yourself a not-fun mom anymore!! :)
Post a Comment