Monday, March 12, 2012

The Eagles are Coming!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with March.   It's a month of transition and for some reason I seem to respond to that in an unsettling way.   Is it winter still?  Is it spring?    And don't even get me started on how much I loathe having to move our clocks ahead.     Despite all that though - there is one thing every March that I know I can always look forward to.   

EAGLES!

I remember two years ago at the very end of March driving back from Bozeman Montana with my Father in law Max, and baby Nate in the back.    Max and I had spent the entire 5 hour trip spotting eagles and counting gophers.    (That maybe doesn't sound too fun but it sure helped pass the time)   It's then that Max told me to wait a week or two as we'd surely be seeing this number of eagles at home as well.   As soon as the gophers are out - the eagles will come!

So, two weeks later I went for a little drive west of town and was shocked at how many eagles I saw!  One time I counted TWELVE along one road   That began a hobby that I look forward to every March now.    I have my favorite country roads that seem to never disappoint.   In fact, it seems as though the eagles return to the same spots every year.    (duh.  They probably do;)  

This morning, after the older three kids left for school, Nate and I headed out for our first drive:



About halfway through we saw a couple of bald eagles perched on some fence posts.  
Darnit though those birds are cautious, and they never sit still long enough for me to get a good photo.   


 I love watching them take flight though.   Their wings are so huge and powerful and they seem so majestic when they fly.


The mountains were especially crisp and pretty.  One of the perks to a cold and windy day I suppose;)




In total, I probably only saw five eagles today, which isn't bad, but definitely not the best its been.    At one point though, I spotted an eagle high up in a tree and I was determined to get closer to it without spooking it.   Just as I was about to take a picture of it though it had to go and fly away on me.  It had been sitting right on that far limb and the picture would have been pretty sweet.  


These little calves however weren't shy at all, and couldn't get close enough.   Too bad I had little interest in them.    They are kinda cute though;)

I love all these little signs of Spring!

1 comment:

Barb said...

AHH the eagles in spring are always one of my favourite things!! I also love it because I know they are eating up those gophers so the more they eat the less I have to shoot.(oh my that is a redneck statement there) Great post love the pictures!