Monday, March 26, 2012

Sometimes they make me laugh


The other night as I was tucking Abby into bed I began to drill her on whether or not she had accomplished each aspect of her bedtime routine.   

"Did you go potty?"  I asked.
 check.   

"Brush your teeth?"  check.   

"Floss?" check check.   

 You know, those kind of questions. 

Last of all, just before I turned out the lights,  I looked at her straight in the eyes and asked very seriously, "Abby did you pray?  How have you been doing lately with your PERSONAL PRAYERS?"   

Abby then took her turn looking me straight in the eyes and slowly said.
" Uh, Mom. ...That's PERSONAL."  

******

Nate has about 32 moments in any given day when a switch goes off in his head and he becomes convinced that he is a puppy.    We could be in the middle of doing something (anything really) and all of the sudden he'll drop down on his hands and knees and start barking.    At first I thought it was weird, but then I realized that it's just what he does whenever he wants to cuddle.   
Because really- who can refuse a cute adorable puppy?

Or perhaps...it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he wants to cuddle with mommy, and more to do with the fact that in moments like that, I often give him his snack the fun way:
 In a "doggy dish."   

Yes...I think that is definitely what he enjoys most about being a puppy.



*******
Sam is a little bit particular about what clothes he wears to school each day.   Some of the basic rules we must abide by when laying out his clothes are:   
They can't have any tags on them. (or remnants of tags for that matter)
His shirts can't be scratchy, itchy or "chokey"
Naturally he won't wear girl colors. (basically if it is not black, brown or navy- it's a "girl color")
His clothes can only contain cool pictures of Super Mario, Batman, Lightning Bolts, or monkeys.
The sleeves can't be too long
The neck can't be too "scoopy"
and believe it or not- those are just the rules that come to my mind right now.
There's more for sure!!!

    There is pretty much one pair of pants and one shirt that fits the bill and I usually have to dance through hoops to get him to accept anything else.    Needless to say, every morning is pretty much a blissful loving experience, as we try to get this boy ready for school.

Earlier this week though he had to participate in the Music Festival with his grade 1 class, and he was instructed to wear his very best school clothes.  Imagine my surprise when he actually came out of his room wearing something shockingly nice, and ...well...even a bit "chokey."

SAM was even shocked with himself!!

True, he may have topped it all off with a pair of muddy gum boots- but I wasn't about to push my luck.
As I hugged him and said goodbye for the day - I also congratulated him for being willing to try something new.    

His response to that as he walked away from me was dramatic and full of trepidation:
 "I don't know.  ... I have a feeling I'm going to regret this day!"

3 comments:

Jewel said...

Sometimes they make ME laugh too....... (like ALL the time actually!). You've got cute and funny kids!

Dick Family said...

haha - funny!!! Kids seriously have the BEST comments ever!!!

PS - glad to see my kids aren't the only ones that want to eat like animals!

Jordan and Luci said...

THey are funny and I think Sam and Jax must be related. So funny! I especially loved Abby's comment. Watch out teen-age years!