Sunday, March 25, 2012

A little drive to cheer me up...

Saturday afternoon, because we had nothing better to do, (and because I was still sad about not getting to freeze out lake) John loaded us all up in the car and we went for an afternoon drive. 

Eagle watching!

The sky was overcast, and we had a fresh blanket of snow on the ground- but the temperature was actually quite nice.    It made for an exciting drive.  

We started by going out to the cemetery, where we know three eagles reside this time of year.   Sure enough- we saw this baldy sitting high up in the tree!    
It was quite far away and difficult to see, so John set up the spotting scope and let us all watch it a little more closely.    Very Cool!!!

I think it is fun to go on drives with John because he always has the energy to drive a little bit further, or hop out and explore something more closely.    


After watching that Eagle for awhile we hopped back in the van and continued on.   Throughout the course of our hour long drive we counted all that we saw.    Here were the totals:

EAGLES =  13
Coyotes = 13
Cool Unidentified large birds = 4
Cows = 100+  (The kids tried to count)
Gophers = an estimated million
Dinosaurs = 2   I don't know- I think someone was maybe bluffing;)   
(After awhile we wisely made the rule that everyone had to see it in order for it to be counted;)

I won't say that it made up for missing the bird migration in Choteau - but it was still a pretty darn nice afternoon just the same;)

No comments: