Thursday, June 28, 2012

Moroni's Quest...what scares me most

On Monday evening, John, some of his Young Men's Counsellors, our Bishop, and all of their families  went out to our Bishop's Cabin for a hot dog roast.   My kids were thrilled to get to go along on this little FHE outing.  Well, technically... it was more so that the men could work and clear a spot for our youth to camp this weekend, but we all happened to go along for the fun.    
Here, Sister Wolff was teaching our kids all about the fun of "Pooh Sticks."    
And believe me- the kids had FUN playing Pooh Sticks!
(I'd made a bet with my friend Mandi that it would be one of my kids that would end up in the water before hers, and sure enough- Sam went wading in (shoes and all!) just to retrieve a stick!
   Well, probably just to make me mad, but he said it was to get his stick;)

This beautiful place is where our stake will be holding Moroni's Quest!  I'm so excited because John and I get to be Tribe Leaders to a small handful of youth, and get to know them throughout this amazing event.  

Actually, truth be told.... I am excited, but I'm also a little bit afraid.   

I don't know which thought scares me most;  the thought of a) getting eaten by a Bear or b) dying of hyperthermia.  Knowing my luck, I'll probably get hyperthermia and then get eaten by a bear;) 
Other then that though, I think it is going to be an absolutely swell time!

Ok actually here is the real truth.  What I'm mostly afraid of is the thought of having this deep down, intense, renewed, and bursting at the seams testimony of the Book of Mormon and my Savior Jesus Christ, but not having the courage to find my voice and share it.     I've never been good at bearing my testimony, not to mention the fact that the youth are sort of an intimidating and foreign species to me.    What if I haven't prepared enough?  What if I forget the things I've learned?   What if I blubber like an idiot "like I always keep doing?"    

Earlier this week, I was expressing some of my trepidation to a neighbor and she gave me some very good advice.  I think if it is the only thing I remember - then things will be alright. 
 She said, that all I need to do to connect with the youth is... Listen to them.   

Say what?  Just Listen?

Not talk?   Not expound my unending wealth of knowledge?  (kidding;)  How can that be?
It's almost as though this all has so very little to do with me and what I know, or what I've learned at all!  What a shock eh;)  

The more I think about it, the more that advice makes absolute and perfect sense.   As soon as I accept that the spirit is the teacher, not me, the less daunting this assignment begins to seem.   It's not about sounding smart, or spiritual, or being cool enough.   It's about reflecting the love of Christ so that those youth are able to feel it for themselves.    Just simply preparing for Moroni's Quest this past year has given me an inkling of how truly amazing this experience will be for those young people in our stake.


I guess the key is perhaps to just make sure that I don't get in the way of it all.

(photo taken at Moroni's Quest site last summer)

1 comment:

Dick Family said...

Tanis I love reading your blog! You are inspirational! It looks like your family already is enjoying an amazing summer (I read through the last few posts)!!!

SO fun!