At the end of July, a massive hailstorm blew through town wrecking our roofs, and vehicles, and sadly...our gardens. I actually think it was the garden and flower beds that I was most sad about at the time. My tiger lilies had just started blooming!!!
However, despite how beat up things looked for the following few weeks after, most of the things that were once growing have started to come back and things are looking green again.
One thing that didn't make it - was this babies breath. My Dad once told me that it was my Mom's favorite flower, and that's perhaps the reason why this giant bush in our front yard has become a favorite of mine too. I look forward to those tiny white blossoms every year!
In the back yard our corn, carrots, tomatoes, beats and chard have all perked up and I think we'll get a harvest out of them after all.
What I most love about our garden in August though, are the sunflowers. We planted them along our back fence (technically in the alley. tsk tsk;) back in May and we weren't sure if they would grow well at all. We came back from our family trip last week though, to find this:
I LOVE them and think next year I will plant three times as many. Such a cheery flower, that literally turns to look at the sun. So COOL!
No comments:
Post a Comment