Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What I NEED - is a Watch!

Sam came to me a couple of days ago in absolute tears, angry at ME for the fact that he has to have a birthday in the Summer.   (sob sob)    His reasons?  

"In the summer, he doesn't belong to a classroom full of kids who would normally sing to him."
"In the summer, he doesn't get to take cupcakes to share at school."
"In the summer, ALL of his friends are gone- so he doesn't ever get to really have Birthday Parties."
"And in the summer there isn't anything fun to do - just like...boring stuff that everybody else is already doing."   

(I'm not sure that I totally understand the last argument there, but those were Sam's complaints nonetheless;)

Naturally, being the awesome Mom I am - I told him that it is not my fault that he was born in August, but rather that Heavenly Father is actually the one who decides when we all come to earth.  (who would dare argue with that?)   And THEN I set out to bribe him with the yummiest three layered rainbow cake ever! ;)


The recipe for this cake is in the Friend, as it's the cake President Monson's Mom would make for the prophet every year on his birthday.   Sam thinks that he is extra special now because his birthday is close to "President Moroni's!"   (Note: For some reason,  he totally messes up the names like that, and I've grown tired of correcting him;)


Our obligatory "Birthday Wall of Fame!"
(or ..."shame" depending on what photos you choose to notice;)


His birthday was made AWESOME when his Aunt Jewel gave him a Star Wars Lego Watch for a gift.   Sam is quite fond of watches, LOVES Lego, and is CRAZY about all things Star Wars, so naturally this is the perfect gift!   Naturally, I had to point out to him later that if he'd not had a "Summer Birthday" then he never would have gotten that awesome gift!   
(Which, of course, isn't true at all- but I just thought it would help him appreciate the month in which he was born a little bit more;)
Just a funny story:  After Sam opened this gift he was SO excited to put the watch on that he hastily began tearing through things trying to assemble it in a rush.    With helpful intentions, we suggested that he pause to read the instructions, to which he hurriedly replied- 
 "I don't need Instructions!  What I need - is a WATCH!!"   

Well- thanks to Aunt Jewel, Sam now loves his Birthday and would have been completely happy if this is the only thing we'd done do celebrate.    But it wasn't.     In fact, it's been a birthday WEEK for him with all sorts of gifts, and travelling and fun.   If you ask me, I'd say this kid has really been quite spoiled!    

Nope- I'm not buying his argument at all.  
Summer is definitely the BEST time for a Birthday!!

No comments: