Just recently John and I have (once again) started up the whole "allowance" thing with the kids. The difference, this time, is that they only get their allotted amount IF they follow through with what is "expected" of them. I'm all about expectations these days;)
Each kid has their own jar, they get a coin at the end of each day if they've done what they are supposed to, and then at the end of the month, whatever moola is in their jars - it is theirs to keep!
Nate hasn't yet clued in to the fact that he's only getting paid in nickels and pennies, he's just really so happy to hear that clinkety clink that it doesn't matter to him what he's paid:) I think it is important to note that the only thing we really "expect" Nate to do is make it through each day without calling me "mommy poopy pants." (It should be the easiest nickel to make, but for Nate, it's quite the challenge:)
Anyways, I thought it was hilarious when I went in to check on him before I went to bed and found him fast asleep, with his money jar tucked in nice and tight beside him.
He's a regular ol' Donald Trump this kid!
********
Ever since the weather turned colder John has been having troubles with this little red truck of ours.
We've known for a while now that whenever the temperature dips down and it gets really cold, the truck has a hard time "engaging." As in, John literally can't put it in gear and move forward! Many times, he'd go somewhere, (like, say to work) only to return home in the evening ...on FOOT! (If I had a dollar for every night this truck sat in front of the school instead of our house all because John couldn't get it home, I'd have...well, enough money to buy a new truck probably:) The best though, was when a couple of weeks ago, after church, John hopped in the truck to head home. He backed up just fine, but sure enough, when it was time to put it into 1st gear, the darn thing wouldn't go anywhere. A family in our ward (who was waiting behind him) could tell he was struggling, so they kindly tried to nudge him forward by gently pushing our truck with the front end of their suburban. But no luck! Apparently he gathered quite a crowd of people trying to help. I've never been so glad in my life for the fact that we sometimes go to church separately:)
My favorite story though, was when (one evening a couple of weeks ago) I was returning home with Abby, when up ahead we saw some crazy driver, doing what looked like a dangerous backwards maneuver, in the middle of the road! I was still a ways away, and it was dark, but I turned to Abby and said, "I bet you a million bucks Abs, that that's Dad up there."
Sure enough- John was having another "moment" with "Big Red."
Apparently, those old tires don't give John much traction when it snows. On this particular day he could back up just fine, but the thin layer of ice on the road was too much for those old tires to move forward on. So...he did what any ol' Redneck would do.
He drove home - IN REVERSE!!!
All the way home!
He later described to me how he had to drive in stages, taking it one block at a time, just to look inconspicuous. hahahaha!!! Is it just me, or is that not the funniest thing ever? Seriously. Here we are, two weeks later - and I'm still laughing!!!
We've known for a while now that whenever the temperature dips down and it gets really cold, the truck has a hard time "engaging." As in, John literally can't put it in gear and move forward! Many times, he'd go somewhere, (like, say to work) only to return home in the evening ...on FOOT! (If I had a dollar for every night this truck sat in front of the school instead of our house all because John couldn't get it home, I'd have...well, enough money to buy a new truck probably:) The best though, was when a couple of weeks ago, after church, John hopped in the truck to head home. He backed up just fine, but sure enough, when it was time to put it into 1st gear, the darn thing wouldn't go anywhere. A family in our ward (who was waiting behind him) could tell he was struggling, so they kindly tried to nudge him forward by gently pushing our truck with the front end of their suburban. But no luck! Apparently he gathered quite a crowd of people trying to help. I've never been so glad in my life for the fact that we sometimes go to church separately:)
My favorite story though, was when (one evening a couple of weeks ago) I was returning home with Abby, when up ahead we saw some crazy driver, doing what looked like a dangerous backwards maneuver, in the middle of the road! I was still a ways away, and it was dark, but I turned to Abby and said, "I bet you a million bucks Abs, that that's Dad up there."
Sure enough- John was having another "moment" with "Big Red."
Apparently, those old tires don't give John much traction when it snows. On this particular day he could back up just fine, but the thin layer of ice on the road was too much for those old tires to move forward on. So...he did what any ol' Redneck would do.
He drove home - IN REVERSE!!!
All the way home!
He later described to me how he had to drive in stages, taking it one block at a time, just to look inconspicuous. hahahaha!!! Is it just me, or is that not the funniest thing ever? Seriously. Here we are, two weeks later - and I'm still laughing!!!
********
We have this rule in our home that on Sundays, the kids are not allowed to play the wii. Not at all. The kids think we are uber strict and mean for it, but I kinda get a kick out of getting to be strict sometimes. (It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job.)
Anyways, a couple of Sundays ago, I was working on something in the basement, when Sam came in and turned on the wii. I was a little bit shocked at his blatant disregard for our rules, but didn't want to yell on the Sabbath or anything (I was trying something new I suppose:) so instead I got up, turned off the TV, and sat down again without saying a word.
Sam, looked at the TV.
Looked at me.
And then quietly said, "Hmmm. Well. I am insulted by your behavior!"
And walked away.
1 comment:
Tanis, you are way too funny! I just happened to be reading this when Ben walked in, so I read aloud your "adventures with Big Red"... Needless to say, we couldn't stop laughing! I really wish I would have driven by John acting all nonchalant as he waited to cruise backwards for another block!!!
Also, Ben got quite a kick out of the "mommy poopy pants" part. He said "Whoa! That sounds like Ollie"!! haha. Little boys are awesome.
Post a Comment