Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 3+4: Timp Caves, Cupcakes, and other Utah adventures!

We spent the first part of our trip at Jordan and Luci's house in Pleasant Grove.    The kids of course LOVED it, and it made me laugh that Nate never wanted to go do anything.  He just wanted to stay at home and play;)   One morning, over a bowl of cereal, he asked, "Dad?  Can we buy Uncle Jordan?"  

On Friday, they took us to BYU campus.   John attended school here thirteen years ago, and it was so fun to see all that was a part of his life.    We walked through campus and some of the amazing buildings on it, heard some crazy stories from Jordan, drove past the homes John lived in, went bowling on campus, and toured the arts building.  (Uncle Jordan loves to tour the arts building;)  Abby found the wedding dress of her dreams, made entirely of bubble wrap!   Who thinks stuff like that up?


Jordan also drove us past the old Tabernacle in Provo that was recently destroyed by fire, but is now being restored and converted into a temple.  So cool!!!

We also enjoyed a hot afternoon at the very fun Seven Peaks Waterpark, and then went back to Jordan and Luci's house for Cafe Rio.   My FIRST genuine cafe rio meal EVER!   I don't know - I just feel like I fit in better now that I've experienced that, that's all. 


We went one morning and toured Uncle Jordan's work, which was much MUCH more cool and impressive then I ever even realized.  


 I'm pretty sure that John could have stayed there for much longer, but we left shortly after the six kids started having roller derby races with the conference room chairs;)

Luci bought a selection of fancy cupcakes from Sweet Tooth Fairy.   (She knew I'd always wanted to try the cupcakes there:)   That vanilla one was so crazy good!!


The next day, we met up again with Aaron and Gina, and we all went to hike into the Timpanogos Caves.  (Luce stayed home with her two youngest boys, but the rest of the kids hiked that trail amazingly)     I was proud of them, as it was a hot HOT day!   I think my kids seem to do better and push themselves more when they are around their cousins. 


This is John's brother Jordan surveying the view.    Our cars were pretty far below us at this point. 


The caves themselves were amazing!    Someone was there at the top to walk us through them and tell us all of the cool facts we wouldn't have otherwise known.   The kids had a fun time identifying "cave popcorn,"   "cave bacon,"  and other structures that took thousands of years to form.   

It was remarkably cold inside the caves, and provided a refreshing break from the summer sun.   
Here's a picture of the whole group before we went in:)


Of course the walk down from the caves was much easier, as was expected.   John decided to pull out his bull whip a couple of times and scare everyone within a 5 mile radius;)   Just kidding.  It does sound cool as it echoes through a canyon.    Nate held Aunt Gina's hand as he walked down the mountain.  Part of me was jealous that he was willing to walk so long as he could hold her hand, and the other part of me was thrilled that I didn't have to carry him any more;)

I love the picture of Jessica and Libby (two little peas in a pod), and Jax, Nate and Sam are a pretty funny trio too.  

I LOVE all these cousins that my kids have gotten to play with and get to know better.   
So grateful for the fun times!

No comments: