I think it is official and safe to say, Track and Field for this little family is done!!! (hallelujah!) I’ve neglected to share highlights from Jessica’s big day which was held a few weeks back.
Jess made me laugh the whole time. Unlike Sam and Abby, this girl really didn’t care how she did compared to other kids in her grade. n fact, that’s exactly what she told me at one point, after she’d done a round at the high jump. I'd called out to her, wanting to share a quick pointer, to which she distractedly called back- “Yeah, Yeah...I don’t care!”
And just like that, I was brushed off!! (She should have listened though. I was pretty good at high jump back in the day, if I do say so myself;)
Jess made me laugh the whole time. Unlike Sam and Abby, this girl really didn’t care how she did compared to other kids in her grade. n fact, that’s exactly what she told me at one point, after she’d done a round at the high jump. I'd called out to her, wanting to share a quick pointer, to which she distractedly called back- “Yeah, Yeah...I don’t care!”
And just like that, I was brushed off!! (She should have listened though. I was pretty good at high jump back in the day, if I do say so myself;)
At any rate, she didn’t care how she did, that's all there was to it, and as a result she had so.much.fun! Jessica has been known to have fun at the dentist though, so really, I shouldn’t have been surprised with her attitude. She just pretty much loves everything about the whole world. ...Always!
She did pretty great, getting second place ribbons in any event that counted ...which, naturally she didn’t care anything about! ;)
She's such a doll!!!
********
Abby received a note last week from school notifying her that she had secured a spot at the upcoming divisional track meet and would be competing in High Jump and the 400meter. Abby was thrilled, if not also a little surprised, and I was so happy to see her enthused about sports.
Knowing that she’d be competing with other (more experienced) kids in the division, Abby set out to “train” a little more intensively. For several nights in a row, John took her down to Walker Field so he could help her with some running skills. I’d occasionally accompany them as well, to cheer Abby on, take some pictures, and contradict all of the tips John had given her with tips of my very own. (Sometimes I just like to get in there and pretend that I know what I’m talking about, you know?)
John was super ingenious one day and he rigged up a DIY High Jump mat/bar in an effort to help Abby master that technique. He pulled up Sam and Nate's bed from their room, and used a long pvc pipe as the bar. Naturally, the front lawn seemed like the best place to practice, no? haha.
I'm sure we didn't get a single strange look from any passerby;)
Abby competed this past Tuesday and, according to her report, tried her very best. I wouldn't know because I had to stay back and babysit. Luckily her Auntie Jewel went (to watch Mya) and took some photos for me, bless her heart;)
I'm sure proud of these kids and the effort they put forth this year!

No comments:
Post a Comment