Sunday, June 1, 2014

Piano Recital

There are certain milestones that we reach each year, that serve indicate to me that summer is near, the kids' annual piano recital being one of them.
Always, around this exact time, I find myself swarmed with evening soccer/baseball games to attend, nightly homework for the kids to complete despite the fact that we've all mentally checked out,  field trips and more!  It is always such a welcomed thing for me, when the piano recital rolls around as it means there is one night...one precious night  when we are all together.  Just sitting.   Just listening.  I LOVE it!  (In fact, I think I enjoy listening to other kids' performances as much as that of my own.)    

Sam was really, really nervous to do his piece.    (He played "When the Saints go marching in" but it sounds so sophisticated to call that a piece, doesn't it? ;)   He was sitting beside me doing deep breathing exercises right up until the moment his name was called.     
 He did a super job, and he even remembered to bow after, so I was really proud of him!



Abby is a great piano player, who would be a lot greater at it if she'd just apply herself and practice a little bit.    It's coming along for her, and she is very good at it, but she just doesn't try at it, and this bothers me.  I feel so proud of her and the level that she is at, but I suppose she doesn't always hear this amidst all my yelling at her to get practicing!    Sigh... I'm really looking forward to the day when she comes to me and says, "Mom, thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to create beautiful music."  Someone tell me that day will come.
I'm truly clinging to that hope;)  




Sam has expressed a desire to continue practicing throughout the summer, and I suspect this has something to do with the fact that his wonderful piano teacher has tried to tell her students that they will "get out of it what they put in."  I decided to offer these two a little financial incentive if they continue to practice  and develop their skills over the next couple of months.  (When I ran this by Sam, he was thrilled and is looking at it as a summer job.  When I told Abby about the plan, she cried.  haha.)

Wish us ALL luck!!!

No comments: