Sunday, May 14, 2017

Beautiful Things

Spring is my favorite time of the year!!!!   
I never tire of the birds, the tulips, the sunshine (which has been hiding for 8 months prior) and the blossoms - don't get me started on the blossoms!

My favorite thing is going for an evening walk with the kids and catching a scent from a nearby tree. 
The smell of blossoms in the spring time is the best.  Such a beautiful thing!


Jessica and I made another trip out to Waterton this weekend.  (We are trying to enjoy it as much as possible now before the summer crowds come and it stops feeling like "our park.")   


 There were tonnes of Bighorn sheep to be seen.   We once watched a documentary at the falls theatre about these creatures and I will forever more be amazed at how they manage to survive in some of the harshest climates and conditions.   


We drove up to Red Rock and paused only for a moment to walk through a field of shooting stars.  It was incredible.   Up until now, this had always been a difficult/rare flower for me to find.  On this particular day though there were thousands of them, turning an entire meadow into a lovely sea of purple.   It was a beautiful thing.  


Jessica is a real eagle eye when it comes to searching for wildlife.  As I drove up to Red Rock she immediately spotted a tiny black bear sleeping high up in a tree.  Upon closer examination we noticed that it's mama bear was sleeping at the base of the tree.  We watched these two sleep bears for forty minutes at least - waiting for them to wake up.  


After about ten minutes the mama bear did wake up and began to eat and explore.  It was kind of touching to watch how she ventured a short distance for food but never too far from the tree.  She circled it often and hovered nearby always, obviously keeping a watchful eye on her sleeping baby.   I love watching the interactions among wildlife as I see such human like qualities in them. 
(ie: Jealousy, anger, determination, and as Jess and I so beautifully saw - Motherly love)

Just as our patience was beginning to wain, the tiny thing woke up and started to make its way down.  We've never watched a bear climb in or out of tree before and it was super cool to see how easily it could make it's way down as it joined it's mama.   It was a beautiful thing!


And because this entry began with blossoms, what better way to end it then with - more blossoms!
This tree sits in our back yard and though it is a great climbing tree for the kids, it has also produced the most abundant amount of fragrant white blossoms.  A popcorn tree in my own backyard!!!  
Sometimes I lay under this tree and the bees don't even care that I'm there.  
Taking an afternoon nap in the shade as hundreds of busy bees buzz in the leaves just above you is again - a 
BEAUTIFUL THING!  

I feel so blessed to have gotten to enjoy all these things this week.
I'm a happy Girl!

No comments: