Monday, May 8, 2017

Making time for Springtime

The past couple of weeks have been filled busy (do I sound like a broken record?) but super fun.
Last week was consumed with planning and carrying out various dinners.   One night I (but really John which is why I say "I") was in charge of providing desserts for the High Counsellors, their wives, and our then Stake Presidency after an evening at the temple.   Of course, I went ridiculously overboard trying to make sure that their was a dairy free option, a gluten free option a chocolate option (because why would you not serve chocolate?) and a non chocolate option.   Do I sound crazy yet?  It was really supposed to just be a simple dessert night following a temple session but you know me! haha   Two days later I was in charge of feeding Abbys Girl Choir group before their annual spring concert.   Again- no big deal just beef on a bun, chips, salad and squares.   Two days later on that Sunday I (but really John which is why I say "I") was in charge of a luncheon for Elder Wilson (Quorum of the 70) Elder Evanson (area authority) and our New Stake Presidency and their wives.   Eeeek!!!   Again, nothing major just soup, salad and fruit for dessert - but- YOU KNOW ME! 
"It always has to be stressful" - pretty sure that is my motto;)    

I realize that none of this is important information, but who knows, maybe one day I will look back on that one week where I felt as though I'd fed everybody except my own family and think of what a good time that was?  Perhaps I will?  

Aside from that, we have mostly just continued with the constant battle that exists in spring:
Practice Piano or play/watch baseball?
Do homework or play/watch baseball?
Clean my room or play/watch baseball?  

Life is full of tough choices, isn't it.

John and I found ourselves on Friday evening almost miraculously on our own.   Abby was at a party,  (her first boy girls one ever! ahem... Kinda shocked that I spent so much time talking about dumb food when this should really get more air time) and Jess was at her friends house until late.  On a whim, John and I phoned our local pizza place, arranged for supper to be delivered to Sam and Nate and we got the heck out of town!!  

And where else would two AWOL parents go - but to Waterton!

It was PERFECT!!   
The sun was shining, the temp was high, and wildflowers are in bloom!


We hiked up Bears Hump which always surprises me every time I hike this to realize how out of shape I am.   This hike is a gooder.  



John is a super fun hiking partner.  As we climbed, we talked about future hikes we want to do this summer.   We want to hike through Rowe Meadow again, do the Garden Wall in Glacier and perhaps even tackle Vimy!  


It was a perfect evening.  We had packed supper with us to eat up on Bears hump but just before we were about to eat John found a tick on me.  And then I found one on him.  
And then I had a mild panic attack and called it quits.   

...made it down that mountain in record time!
By the end of the hike I'd gotten so good at finding ticks, I was spotting them on strangers we'd pass on the trail.   Naturally we stopped to kindly pick the tick off of them which always makes for a fun awkward moment.  haha

Ew....Ew...Ew...EW!!!!

On Saturday we worked like crazy people all morning.   (Gardening, yard work etc) By mid afternoon however, John and I again found ourselves with few kids at home and a blessed chunk of time on our hands.   

This time we headed straight to Payne Lake so John could finally get his boat out on the water.  
I love fishing with John almost as much as I love hiking with him, only for different reasons.   When we hike - we always talk together which we don't do nearly often enough.   When we fish- John pretty much talks about fishing and I nod my head in agreement when what I'm really focusing on is all of the pictures I'm taking.   Every once in a while I do throw out a cast just so he thinks I'm super motivated to catch a fish too.   


There was lots to photograph this particular evening too.  
Geese...Eagles....the setting sun.....


While John led us across the lake I listened to every sound around me and snapped photos of every bird I saw, drinking in the tranquility of the moment.   I really really really really need to make more time in my life for evenings like this.   


It's moments like this that keep me centred and remind me that I have a really awesome life.   
I'm so glad I could make some time for Springtime.   


No comments: