Wednesday, December 27, 2023

August - Chickens, Temples, Barbie and more...

What would an August recap be without an update from our missionary in Romania!
She sent home tons of photos and appeared to be happy and loving life. 
I know that each mission carries with it challenges and trials, but Abby has met each experience with excitement and positivity. For that, I am so proud of her. 
          We attended the rodeo during Heritage week, and I actually think I spent so much time at the agridome that my body responded to the hay, or something in the air. I had itchy eyes for days after!                         It was fun to be there though and watch an evening concert with Trevor Panczak. One of his band members is Paisley's dad. (Paisley and Sam have been dating since February.)

The garden really took off this year. I could not have asked for a better crop/growing season. 
Of course, I wish that I had been home more to enjoy it, but still. It was lovely.
I will never forget how, during my busiest times with school, I would sometimes steal outside early in the morning and just snack on a raspberry or two, before the day really got going. 
It was a summer for simple pleasures, that is for sure. 
Nate participated in a couple of basketball camps.
Sam really thrived at work in Waterton. (He cleaned campgrounds and worked in the visitor center.)
Jessica spent a lot of days at work and with her boyfriend Grayson. In her spare time, she soaked up the sun!


We celebrated Sam's 18th birthday, in Augst!
John, Sam, Jess and Nate hiked Vimy together and then they returned home in time for us to enjoy a Chinese food dinner. 
As soon as we were done, Sam loaded up and headed to Stirling to see Paisley. He ended up camping in the Stirling campground that night. I got a kick out of these pictures that Paisley sent me. 


John and I have had to adjust our expectations this summer. It has been less common for the kids to have time to do things, and John and I have both resolved to keep doing the things that we have always done. Kids or no kids. 
I will admit, we definitely enjoy the kids' company, but we were blessed with occasional moments of beauty, to remind us that growing old isn't all bad. This particular evening in Waterton was just such a moment. Clear, windless skies, still waters, beautiful sunsets. 
It was all just too perfect. 


We got one evening down in Claresholm. 
We gathered for brisket dinner at Chad's place and were introduced to the newest members of his family. 
Like, could those little chickens be any cuter? 



Sam entered the temple and took out his personal endowments, back in August. It was a special thing to be able to attend a session with him and I was so very grateful for that privilege. 
Sam is growing into an amazing young man and I just can't believe how he is changing, right before our eyes. He served as a temple worker for a couple of months, until he entered the mission field. 
His service in the temple inspired John and I to attend more often. 


At the end of August, Jessica took part in a skills camp at NAIT, working with other potential college ball athletes. For three days she trained and played. She said she enjoyed the experience but felt inadequate most of the time. I would give anything to have the skills this girl has. I never know what to say to her in those moments when her confidence is rattled, but I was so very proud of her for going and trying!


While Jessica played ball, Nate and I kept ourselves busy shopping, bowling, walking around the legislature grounds, and going to the Barbie movie. I think that Nate has decided it is not much fun, travelling with mom. I enjoyed it though;) 

No comments: