Thursday, December 28, 2023

Tempe Bound!

Well, it finally happened. 
The family event that we had been anticipating for months, came and went, and it was every bit as hard as I expected it would be. 

On November 19th, Sam was set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We had Brent and Rachel over for dinner, and then President Ferguson came over later that evening to make it official. For a little over a week, we enjoyed having Sam home, as a missionary, while he experienced home MTC. Because of American thanksgiving, Sam was given an extra day off, during his week, which seemed difficult for Sam. He definitely preferred to be kept busy. 


On Sunday November 26th, Sam spoke in the 5th ward and gave a phenomenal talk about sacrifice. I was incredibly proud of him and touched by his testimony. He had grown SO much over that initial week as a missionary, it was hard to deny that this mission would be amazing for him. 

We had a small luncheon afterwards for family and friends. 
It was a wonderful day, celebrating this remarkable man. 


On Tuesday November 28th, we loaded Sam and his three suitcases into the truck and headed for the Calgary airport. There was a tangible knot in the pit of my stomach, one that I had not felt since we dropped off Abby, months before. It hurt my heart to consider the nervousness Sam surely felt. He didn't express that much, but I saw little signs. He hadn't slept much that night before. There was now an eagerness and concern to get to the airport in time. When we stopped to grab breakfast, he ordered something to eat, but never did take a bite. He reassured me several times to just have confidence in him. 
Yes, he was nervous, but was determined to be brave. 
I wish I could have adequately conveyed to him that I felt completely confident in him, I just didn't know what life would look like for us- without him! I was sad. So very sad. 

When the time came for us to say our goodbyes, Sam pulled us all into a family huddle and told us all that he felt very calm. He expressed that he wasn't afraid, in that moment. Then he looked at us all, said, "Well, I'm going to go figure this all out," and he walked away. 

He didn't look back. 
He didn't turn and wave again.
He moved ahead, through the line, and after awhile - out of sight. 

My heart skipped a beat or two as we walked out of that airport, in the moment. Half of my family gone on missions. Jess and Nate had heavy hearts too, I could tell. When we reached the parkade, we found a note he had written John and I, resting on the drivers seat. We would later find that he had thoughtfully left a note and gift for Nate and Jess, at home. 

Nothing like personal gifts to get the tears flowing again. 
It took a few days to adjust to a home without Sam in it. 


A week later, we were thrilled to finally get to hear from him. 
That first messenger call will forever be one of my favorite memories of Sam's mission. What a relief to see a smile on the other end of the conversation, to hear confidence in Sam's voice, and to witness even more growth. He is changing, right before our eyes!

Sam's first companion was Elder Thedell, and Sam really hit it off with him. I was grateful for this friendship right out of the gate as I am sure that made a big difference for Sam in those first days of the mission. He would often report that his MTC district had gotten really close and that there were friends he'd made there that he will always be grateful for. 


So, that is that. 
Elder Hardy is taking on Tempe, AZ and is off to a great start!

 

No comments: