I have to admit the kids enthusiasm for fishing is beginning to wane this summer as we have failed to catch any fish. And we've made A LOT of attempts! Considering our successful evenings fishing in Waterton last year it has been a bit deflating for the kids to never even get a bite.
Still- John is determined that we utilize our naively purchased Alberta fishing licences and stick to the nearby lakes and rivers outside of the park.
Which brings us to our Payne Lake trip on Thursday evening which I like to refer to as:
"Our Family Fishing Gong Show"
(Take: SIX!)
And gong show it is.
Once we finally decide where to fish (which is a feat in and of itself) there is the task of getting the kids and the dingy ready. John spends a couple of years (I exaggerated slightly) inflating the boat while the kids jump around inside it.
I let them- because I know John secretly enjoys that;)
While John struggles with the kids, and the boat, ...and the gear...
I pretend I don't know these crazies and venture off to take pictures of the beauty around us.
I'm all about appreciating the beauty around us.
(Especially at times like this.)
But eventually...after the 20 minute drive there and the 30 minute set up...finally it is time to start fishing. Usually John gets to be the one to take the kids out - while I remain on the shore.
I generally spend this time fishing, taking photos, playing with Nate (who never lasts long on the boat), and listening to the sounds of my families voices float across the water.
Yep. I have a lot of love for the people in that there boat!
Sometimes Grandpa joins us, which is always a treat. This week he even brought along his brand new fly rod!
He has some great fishing stories!
Nate often stands at the waters edge anxiously watching for the boat to return. It is amazing how a little bit of slime and mud can keep a little boy happy.
Eventually, (as in an hour later!) after the mosquitos have eaten me alive, and just as Nate becomes whiny - the other half of our family comes back.
Empty handed. (Again.)
But still happy.
And it is in that precise moment, as I watch them approach with the sun setting behind them, that I realize
It's not about the fish!!!
And suddenly the fight it took to get the kids out here seems so utterly and delightfully WORTH IT!
1 comment:
okay....now these sun glinting across the water pictures are even better than the one of John a few posts back!!! Holy smokes Tan!!! Priceless stunning photos. No wonder you love fishing so much!
Post a Comment