Thursday, August 25, 2011

When the cousins come to visit...


A little over a week ago John's sister Sarah came up for the weekend to visit and we ALWAYS love it when they come!    Her two boys Caleb and Malachi are quite a fun duo and their styles of play are so imaginative and creative that my kids never do get enough of them.   

That Friday we headed out to Waterton with very little "plan" and ended up having the BEST time!   
(Makes me wonder why I ever even bother to make a plan;)

 For a couple of hours we played down at "Driftwood Bay" (granted that might not be it's official name;)  which is a spot John and I have never really explored.    The kids splashed in the water, built all they could, buried themselves under the course pebbly sand and more!  At one point I grabbed my camera and tried to photograph all of the individual projects everyone was working on:

Along the shore- Sarah, Mala and Abby collected rocks and made pretty designs under the water.    Can you guess who did what?

Further down the shore Caleb successfully made a large lean-to all on his own!   This was especially impressive seeing as earlier us "adults" had tried to build one only to have it crash down dangerously more then once.    Sometimes you've just got to leave things up to the kids eh?  

Max even got frustrated watching us parents struggle with the lean-to and eventually he stepped in and showed us how it's done-building one of his own too;)

John got this bright idea to find the longest poles possible and implant them upright all along the shore.   He clearly used his fence building skills to solidify those tall posts;)

And last of all Jessica created a stick garden of sorts that she happily spent the afternoon "watering" with her  water gun!

I'm telling you- there was a LOT of creative energy flowing that day!!!

But that's just what happens when the cousins come to visit!


Other highlights of the day included playing up at Red Rock Canyon, a picnic and a hike up to Blakiston Falls.  John and I couldn't help but notice how much better my kids do when Caleb and Mala hike with them.   No complaining.   No whining.    No "how much longer?" or "why do we have to do this?"

Everything is fun when the cousins come;)


Oh and what would a trip to Waterton be without a Bear sighting?
(or two)
(or three)


I swear there are more Bears this year in Waterton then in previous years, and they are always so close to the town site.   

Perhaps they were just as excited as we were that the cousins came to visit?

1 comment:

Lorin said...

Great pictures Tanis! The one of the two bears is extra ossum.

At first I couldn't believe those rocks were under water. That water is SO clear and you managed to get the shots with nearly no reflection too. Nice job! I think you might be able to send the left photo in to the colour blindness testing folks to add to their test images. The pale red and green rocks makes it a bit difficult to see the treble clef image in the pattern. At least for us red/green colourblind people anyway. Or maybe it's just me. I thought it was kind of interesting though.