I was visiting with John in his classroom this past week, and actually had a moment to look around and explore the room a bit. This place that he spends 70% of his life at is in large part a mystery to me, and I found myself sitting at his desk trying to imagine what a typical work day would be like for him.
A school teachers desk is an interesting thing to study - and I think it says a lot about the teacher. Some desks are tidy, organized, even obsessively clean - while other's desks are scattered, laid back or disorganized in a way that could only work for them.
John's desk is more of the latter description.
(But that's only because I'm not there all the time to organize it for him;) zing! ;)
Anyways - what really made me smile was his work table at the back of the room. It is chalk full of wires, batteries, and taken apart appliances. I'm pretty sure fragments of our old microwave and broken alarm clock are sitting on that there table;)
When I asked John if he actually uses any of it in class, he replied, "Nah...not really. I just sometimes like to play around with it."
Play around with it? As in, he thinks all this is in some way fun? Really?
And then I realized that somewhere beneath that handsome manly exterior of his -
lurks a real live bonafide... GEEK!
(He hides it so well;)
lurks a real live bonafide... GEEK!
(He hides it so well;)

No comments:
Post a Comment