Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Professor is in

The other night we received a phone message from one of our darling (albeit American) nephew Kaden.    He had a science related question and was hoping that the PROFESSOR (aka John;) could call him back soon.    I didn't delete that phone message for a couple of days because it made me smile every time I listened to it,  ever since then I've made a point of calling John "Professor" as much as possible.  Though he won't admit it- I think he actually likes the nickname;) 
  
Last night as we were watching M*A*S*H (which is part of our usual bedtime routine) I noticed ahem... the "Professor"  was going through a stack of papers written to him by his grade 10 students.    Every semester he asks his students to give him some anonymous feedback in the form of a survey.   There's such safety in anonymity isn't there?  
 He asks them to share their opinions of his class by answering 3 specific questions.  They are:
"What should I START doing as a teacher?"
"What should I STOP doing as a teacher?"
"What should I CONTINUE doing as a teacher?"

I had fun reading through the surveys with John and most of them were very kind and constructive.  Bless those kids' hearts!   Some were just plain funny! 
Here are a few of my favorites:

STOP- "letting us goof around."
STOP- "making us separate our desks during exams." 
(yeah...sure kid.  Good luck with that;) 
START- "You should show us more movies!"   
(this reminded me of the time my social 30 class managed to convince our teacher Mr. Thompson to let us watch Monty Python in class.   Movies in class were the best!;)    
STOP-  "having a water cooler with no cups.  Please share!"
START- "showing more movies" (again with the movies?;)
CONTINUE- "looking like a dinosaur"  (say what?)
START- wearing new Ties. 
  (Ok this one-I took personally because I am the one who shops for John's clothes and, truly, he has more ties then I do shoes!  New Ties- my eye!!)
START- "Maybe just get some new markers so they don't squeak all the time."
And finally my favorite most grammatically correct response:
CONTINUE- "Teaching physics.  Everything in our class is well teached!"


All in all- I think the feedback was pretty helpful. 

Now if you'll excuse me ....
I'm off to get the Professor some new Ties!!!!

No comments: