I always know Christmas is coming when the local grocery store starts selling mandarin oranges. My family LOVES mandarin oranges and a crisper full of them never lasts long. I've noticed lately that Nate is particularly fascinated with these juicy little balls of vitamin C, though not for reasons I would wish.
He is ALWAYS going to the fridge for another orange. However- as soon as I peel it for him, he sticks his pointy finger through the center and walks around with the orange hanging on his hand for as long as it will remain there. When it does fall off, or dry up- it's back to the fridge for another.
This morning I heard the fridge open, followed by the pitter patter of 2 year old feet running downstairs. Determined to not let another orange go to waste, I followed him downstairs, determined to take it away from him. I was a little confused however to find the orange stuffed under his shirt, and when I tried to take it away, he burst into tears and cried, "Baby. Baby!!!"
I gave him the orange back and he stuck it back under his shirt sticking out his tummy-obviously happy to have his "baby" back where it belonged. He continud to hold that orange for a large part of the day, truly treating it as though it was his precious responsibility.
I'm wishing he'd go back to sticking it on his finger instead!!!
This could be a very long Orange Season for sure!

No comments:
Post a Comment