Sunday, November 6, 2011

Why the packing should NEVER be left up to the guys

As mentioned in the previous post, I had made plans this week to attend my Uncle's funeral in Wetaskwin.      All of the Toone family would be there and the kids were beyond excited to get to skip school and come with me.    Obviously wanting to capitalize on their excitement, I hurriedly told them each to go pack their own bag and even listed off the types of clothes I expected them to include.         

What I didn't realize though was that by asking my son to pack his bag, I had defied the most basic and cardinal rule of travel.   I mean everybody knows that you NEVER let a boy do the packing!  And everybody knows that if you do - you end up stuck somewhere with a whole bunch of things you don't need, and nothing that you really do.)

This was again driven home to me on Tuesday afternoon as I came across Sam's back pack.  It was hanging so nicely by the door, all ready to go and it was obvious he'd put a lot of thought into the task;)     
  The first thing I noticed about Sam's bag, was that he had made careful effort to accessorize the outside of it with a triangle made from his Tinker Toys, as well as an old half deflated balloon.    
Granted, the balloon did have his name on it.   Perhaps he was just trying to creatively label his luggage for everyone else's benefit?

Inside the bag though- well it all kinda went down hill from there!


There was no sign of pajamas, or socks, or underwear or anything a silly old mom like me would consider useful for a trip.    Instead, inside his bag - I found three more...bags?


Bag #1 contained:    His Halloween costume.    
Bag #2 contained:   1 airplane, 3 random pieces of lego, 1 lone bakugon, and a few cut out paper ghosts he'd made at school.
Bag #3 contained:  His bakugon running shoes.    Which- if you ask me would naturally just be worn on his feet-but who am I to know how things should be?

What wasn't in the bag you ask?
Oh, basically just EVERYTHING THAT ACTUALLY WOULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL!

And that my friends - is why you never....NEVER let the men do the packing!!!!

Ironically, that night Jessica came down with the flu (curse you Health Canada and your no good flu shot!) and our travel plans came to an abrupt halt.   I've definitely learned my lesson for next time though;)

2 comments:

shauna said...

I hate to burst your bubble Tanis...but my GIRLS have been just as bad...even when they have a written list to check things off. I think it might be a manipulative way of snagging new clothes on their part. I'm not sure if that would be Sam's motivation though. Sorry Jessica got sick.

Dick Family said...

haha - SO typical!